Wednesday, September 2, 2009

New

Donovan started 1st grade today at Kings Way Christian School. New clothes, new shoes, new backpack, new school supplies, new Bible, new snacks, new teacher, new friends… New soccer team practice tonight also. Donovan is almost the new age of 7. All of these new things bring many possibilities, as I told him this morning on our way to the school. Every new thing we have not done is an opportunity for growth in our lives; I have been reading and hearing of the frustrations of friends recently, and I always wonder why even though they do not like the state of their lives (at least some part of it), they are very resistant to trying anything new…. Which brings me to one of my favorite sayings: the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result. I don’t know who said that, but I believe it with all of my heart, and it has guided my decisions and served me well.

New is refreshing, new is full of possibilities and potential. People spend so much of their lives paralyzed by fear of the unknown (and out of their control), not realizing that something new could be the best thing that ever happened. I love new. New jeans, new running routes, new races, new places I have never been, new food I have not tried, new books I have not read, new people that I get to meet, new opportunities- the list goes on forever. If I was afraid of the “new” I would never be the person I am today, a happy, confident, successful, and loved woman.

There are several things I feel are most important to impart to my children, and among the top 5 is to not be afraid of something new, to look forward to something new- I lead by example here. My children are required to be active, to try new sports- I lead by example in this arena also. My children are required to try something else if the situation they are in is not working for them- I lead by example.

What new things will you try today?

No comments:

Post a Comment